View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 10:31 PM   #14
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zylvere View Post
Thanks to all of you for your help. I read through a lot of that documentation and I found that for example, the idea of bookmarks and notes was completely lost on them.

The heart of the issue is this: the hardware of the device is the undoubtedly the best on the market. Its feels sturdy and it has all of the wireless connectivity options available. It doesn't have the biggest screen, but it has the best one - tied with the kindle. It has massive potential for more memory.

I think that there is very little room for argument when it comes to why you would put a touch screen on a dedicated reader. The only possible answer is that you would want to do something with the text that you can't do with hardware buttons, i.e. interact with it in some way: underline, copy, look up definition, highlight - something!

It turns out, however, that to do the smallest interaction, with the text - to take advantage in the slightest of having a touch screen e-reader - you need to tap a large number of buttons to get to where you want to be. I don't understand how this first-order function was so lost on development at Sony. The iOS system is perfect, but I didn't want the wacky screen for hours of reading.

It's for the above reason and the aforementioned reasons that I think that the whole idea of having the sony reader is kind of nullified by their own designers.
I'm confused, the User Guide is fairly thorough in this respect. From the User Guide, p. 59, "Bookmarking... Double-tap the upper right corner of a page..." From p. 62, "Adding a note: 1. Tap a bookmark or highlighted word -> [by Drawing] or [by Keyword]..." Hardly "a large number of buttons." I suppose adding a note without bookmarking the page or highlighting anything takes more taps (three and a button press). To look up a word in the dictionary, it's just a double-tap. Highlighting is easy, double-tap and drag. I don't see how interacting with the text could be made more simple without resulting in commands interfering with each other. Or is it something else about interacting with the text you're at odds with?

Edit:
Glad people were able to help.

Last edited by natasha_fawn; 12-28-2010 at 10:33 PM. Reason: I'm too slow.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote