View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tautologico View Post
t
The features that caught my eye were:
  • Native PDF support
  • Larger catalog (1 million according to B&N)

• You can't zoom on PDFs. Coupled with the small screen size, it'll probably make PDFs unreadable, and that's why I'd like to get a Kindle DX.
  • Book lending has the limits already talked about: only once and only for 14 days. I wanted this feature mostly to trade books with my girlfriend so we didn't need to buy some books twice, but she reads more slowly and I don't always have time to read, so the 14-days limitation makes this feature nearly useless for me.
* Larger catalog: Carefull here over 750,000 books are from google. The world has access to thos books B&N just integrated google through their Book store. So in reality B&N has 250K books amazon has 350K. Also the SONY store has access to the same books. The bad thing is those books are in ePUB format and have been OCR'd using google technology. And man they are awful.

* Zooming is a real nice to have esp if you read books with charts and graphs.

* PDF Reflow I can't stand it the SONY/Adobe did such a bad job chances are it will look just as bad on the nook. I tend to read my PDF w/o reflow and take the time to strip off the margin and header/footers.

* KindleDX is probably the way to go, but my understanding is there are some limitations on the PDF support.

* Book Lending not really a plus if your close to your GF you can add her device with your account, all eInk support (SONY, Amazon, Adobe) and there is no limit on how long you can lend a book doing it this way. The down side is you share a credit card/account.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote