View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
kellynj
kellynj began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
While buying lunch, I juggled my coin purse & reader & dropped the wrong one. Dead ebook reader. The substrate is shattered.

I have been using it almost daily, generally for several hours each, since I got it. I want to scream.

Have to decide between:
--Give up on ebook readers; learn to drag laptop around with me.
--Get tiny hand-held thing like an old Clie or new iPhone/iTouch; deal with short battery life
--Replace with another PRS-505 (cost is prohibitive)
--Replace with Jetbook (costs less, which is good; smaller screen good; shorter battery life not good; no DRMd formats is iffy.)
--Replace with Cybook/Hanlin (roughly equivalent to Sony; unknown minor changes)
--Replace with used Sony PRS-500 (much cheaper; can't read ePub.)

--Don't replace/substitute. Carry physical notebook & pen & attempt to channel former reading time into writing time.

:: ponders what I can sell on ebay that's worth the cost of a new ebook device ::
This is why I splurged on all the insurance/protections that Sony made available since between dropping, spilling, breaking things I'd be a mess. I just got mine back today after it going back to Sony for over 2 weeks and I went through crazy ass withdrawal every day it was gone!
kellynj is offline   Reply With Quote