View Single Post
Old 02-07-2021, 10:05 AM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
My reaction to the articles tends toward “a plague on both your houses.” I’m finding it hard to see why people care on either side, except internet. People will like what they like.

In essence, it’s a recurring argument here; see, for example, this thread. As far as I understand the camps, I’m more a reader than a book person. And if I’m honest, the arguments in the pro-“reader” article resonate more with me. I think people should be familiar with the classics, that no hardship is done to schoolchildren by making them read them, that Lolita is a great novel and not an apologia for pedophilia, and that if you spend more time engaging in ancillary activities than actually reading, perhaps you don’t like to read as much as you think.

However, I also admit I think in terms of TBRs and will refer to DNFs, I keep lists of books read at Goodreads where I also pick up recommendations from like-minded people and I even participate in an internet forum that’s at least tangentially related to reading.

At base, this is about perceived snobbery and the resentment engendered by it. But I think those involved enjoy their respective high horses and/or outrage as the case may be and need the other to indulge.

ETA: cfrizz beat me to it and much more succinctly.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote