View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 01:07 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal192 View Post
As for the dictionary--what makes it better on the Kindle? Could you download or select which English dictionary to use if you find the definitions are inadequate for a particular dictionary for either Kobo or Kindle? Does the Kobo have translation?
It is the quality of the dictionary use. Kobo uses the basic Mirriam-Webster. Kindle uses a bigger and better dictionary (I've forgotten which). Kindle also has a way to add more dictionaries. Kobo has a a few different languages and translation dictionaries, but now supported way to add more or replace them with a different dictionary.
Quote:
So far I'm really sold on the Kobo Aura One because of the KOReader which is apparently not available for the Oasis 2 (yet?) along with the bigger size.
The problem is that to install KOReader on any Kindle, you have to be able to jailbreak it. You can't do this for the recent Kindles or firmware versions.
Quote:
For the Aura One, what's exporting notes/annotations (if any), or data in general like? Could you export it via email? Even better--could I use rsync or syncthing to (automatically, if possible) sync between my PC and the Kobo? Of course I'd rather avoid wired transfer.
Kobo doesn't have any supported way to get the annotations off the device. There are methods, but, they all need the device connected to a PC. And none will put the annotations back on the device.
Quote:
P.S. Only thing I'm slightly hestitant on is that the Aura One is nearly 2 years old and I'd hate to get one now only to find a successor will be available by the end of this year. Just from looking at the release dates of their devices, it kind of seems likely, but I haven't heard of any news. The Paperwhite 4 is still in the back of my mind because it will have the natural light feature and is for sure going to be the best bang-for-your-buck, but I'm pretty sure it will be too small for me. Not considering the Oasis 2 anymore.
Kobo never announce any of their plans for devices ahead of time. At most, the make an announcement about a month before the device is actually released. There can be clues from other sources, but they don't always come out and don't have many details. But, they do normally do their releases in April/May or September/October. An update to the Aura ONE later this year would make sense, but there is no way of knowing what is actually planned.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote