View Single Post
Old 06-01-2018, 08:23 PM   #6
Ansl
Enthusiast
Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo H2O2v1
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal192 View Post
On the Oasis 2, there is a feature called "X-ray". It's actually really cool but potentially very gimmicky--I'm curious how you guys feel about it. I'm just wondering if it could be useful for using in textbooks where you want to find references to a certain term and more importantly the context. Is there an alternative for the Aura One?
X-ray is only enabled on (most?) Amazon-purchased books, not for side-loaded content. You also cannot choose which terms it picks up on what kind of context it gives you. I read mostly fiction, and often the only data it offers is a single quote mentioning a character (not even an introduction but a random line from the work) and some setting info (like that London is the capital of England...) Apparently, most of sensibly-presented data originates from Shelfari users, and Amazon closed that website down almost two and a half years ago ... In any case, the feature is not what I was expecting and likely not very useful to you, either. Sorry.

Quick navigation on the Kindle might be an advantage if you only need to hop between a couple of different pages at a time. In this regard, it's better than Kobo, which can only ever return to the previous location, but if you need to do some serious page-flipping, I'm afraid hardcopy remains your best alternative.

Neither device is at its best displaying PDF though Kindle is natively better at it. Adding in KOReader might give the edge to Kobo, and the size of the ONE definitely does.

The real advantages of Kindle, as far as I am concerned, are
1) the better dictionary
2) in-book access to Bing translator
3) dictionary and translator work on PDFs, too
4) the ability to annotate articles from Instapaper (getting these to the device is not as straightforward as the Pocket integration on Kobo, but worth the extra effort if you want to really engage with stuff from the internet, IMO)

I have no personal experience of Kobo's ComfortLight Pro, but am a bad enough sleeper that I usually have to turn the Glo HD's light completely off at night and use an external lamp instead. I certainly hope the warm light does what it promises though there probably is no good data to say so yet.

I would not necessarily say Kindles are stabler, by the way. The one in my household freezes and reboots seemingly every time I sideload something onto it ... I do clean up the files, but apparently there is no combating the magic touch.
Ansl is offline   Reply With Quote