View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
@NiLuJe/eureka: I'm sure that there was no offense intended either way. But I do agree with what NiLuJe said: at least, for the stuff that we program and release, we have the source code (for everybody to check), and we know why things are programmed the way they are. And if we don't know, we can ask the developer.
I do agree with your statement too.

But knowledge of why things are programmed the way they are wasn't the matter which I pointed to. I was pointing to the fact that there is a solid knowledge about how USE_ALT_FONTS method is programmed/implemented and how it's behaving and this knowledge is based on thorough techincal examination, not on empirical evidence.

I do have byte code for Java part of USE_ALT_FONTS thing, which I can read as well as real source file (just order of magnitude slower and harder). And there is source code for Fontconfig used in Kindle. And there is easily accessible source for ;fc-cache command (it's a simple shell script).

There is nothing magical in USE_ALT_FONTS method and I just wanted to stress it. The fact that behavior of this thing could be examined only with reverse engineering have no value now, when this reverse engineering was already done and results were posted.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote