View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #37
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I am excited to see that a color e-ink screen is available. I have some serious doubts about how good the screen is. I have a sneaking suspicion that the refresh rate is going to be really slow and the colors not all that great.
The refresh rate is partially determined by the screen, and partially by the display controller. Current eInk devices have faster refresh than early devices due to improved controllers.

I expect refresh rate to be comparable to current eInk devices. I do not expect great color.

Quote:
If it is a good screen that works well then I would expect that Amazon, Sony, Nook and others will have new e-readers out using the color e-ink. I have to believe that the people who created this screen tried selling it to the three big e-reader sellers and that they passed on it for good reason.
If this is what I think it is, it's using technology eInk announced as in prototype in December 2006 with volume production to follow in 2007. We never saw volume production, and I suspect OEMs passed on it due to costs and/or display quality.

Hanvon thinks they can sell it in the Chinese market, and they probably can. Unless the color display is a lot better than reported, I don't see it gaining much traction here.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote