View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #265
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryzed View Post
That's really great! Thank you for the detailed answer, very much appreciated, really. I already installed the Jailbreak + Bridge and managed to connect with my local Cygwin configuration via SSH and the NDIS bridge to the Kindle and have access to the root account. So there it is, "basically" my safety net. Now I wanted to backup my partition 1 and 2 but have slight problems.

I assumed that my host IP address relative to the Kindle would be 192.168.15.1 because that's how the SSH connection is established, but when directing the dd output to that address / port the whole thing just freezes and does nothing -- out of desperation and creeping suspicions that I don't understand networking at all I also tried the local IPV4 address within the home network (192.168.0.17) which is unreachable. If this gets too offtopic, I understand, I'll take it somewhere else -- I just thought if it's something glaringly obvious, even if you guys aren't running Windows you might be able to tip me off. I guess I could just backup the partitions to the user storage on the device but... meh.

Anyways, thank you so much!
You can only SSH into the wifi interface of your kindle if you enable SSH over wifi in /etc/iptables. That is documented in the K4 hacking wiki, but works on all the kindles with wifi.

Each network interface uses a different IP subnet. 192.169.0.x is your wifi. 192.168.15.x is your RNDIS interface, but the host PC does not get assigned anything automatically because the kindle is not running a DHCP server.

You need to manually assign an IP address (192.168.15.201 recommended) to the host PC side of the RNDIS interface. This stuff is all documented in the wikis and this forum...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote