View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 01:28 PM   #10
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Assuming by saying ebook you're ruling out PDF, I'd suggest that Mobipocket is the next most common.
Yeah, Mobipocket is the current favorite.

Quote:
There's no point in looking at LRF - Sony seems to be moving away from that format. Microsoft .LIT also seems to have died (although it's probably one of the easier ones to convert from.) The only other contender is Fictionwise's eReader .pdb format. That might be an interesting one.
LIT is pretty much dead, I agree. I'm guessing PDB will become even more interesting once the Nook launches.

Quote:
I wonder if anything can be used from the Calibre code base? Perhaps not - IIRC, Calibre is all in Python, and Sigil is all C++.
As you said, different languages are used so no code reuse. But I might take a look at the algorithms in calibre to see how Kovid goes about things. It's actually been two years since the last time I looked at calibre's source code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Ideal ebook format is LRF for me.
LRF is peculiar. Sony certainly seems to be abandoning it, but there are a lot of books in that format... with DRM (as LRX). Since no one has figured out how to strip that DRM and make a normal LRF out of a LRX, all those LRX files are basically gone. You can't convert DRMed files.

So the LRF files out there are usually those that have been converted from something else by the users themselves.

Of course, most of these will be added some time, the question is which to add first.

Last edited by Valloric; 10-31-2009 at 03:38 PM. Reason: typo
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote