View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
I don't have a Nook, but the publisher I work for sells epubs into the Nook market, so I'm very interested in what you said above.

That said, are you sure that Nook intentionally replaces the ebook's CSS file with their own generic one in all cases? Were it to do so, I would think that would cause massive formatting problems for any and all epubs that were not prepared with a stylesheet exactly like the Nook's. Just as you describe. Yet we haven't seen any such complaints -- so far.

I'm not trying to dispute your statement; I have no knowledge to the contrary, but I do think it's quite bizare, if true.

I have an alternate hypothesis which you can check.

I believe the Nook uses the Adobe Digital Editions engine (an early version, IIRC), and ADE is notorious for completely ignoring a CSS stylesheet that has even the most trivial error in it.

So, two things you can do to check out this possibility:

1) How does your epub display in the stand-alone Adobe Digital Editions reader (installed on a Windows PC)? If it's correct, you've shot down my hypothesis. If it's not correct...

2) check out the epub's stylesheet with the W3C CSS validator online. Note that CSS level 2.1 is the most appropriate level for epub 2.0, but if you have embedded font declarations the validator will complain about them even though they work in epub.

HTH,

Albert
Hey, Albert!

I've never had this occur, and never had a customer tell me that there was an issue reported with an ePUB post-upload. Our ePUBs look the same on the NookColor as they do in ADE, as they do in Nook4PC (worst desktop reader ever invented), on the iBooks app on iPad, etc. Something is not right with the OP's stylesheet, that's causing an issue.

I mean, think about what this would mean if it were true; it would mean that every ePUB uploaded at PubIt/now NookPress would change, essentially, post-upload. As they initially required ePUBs, not Word files (granted, this changed, but still...) that doesn't make a lot of sense. It would be like Kobo; require ePUBs and then run 'em through the Calibre API, anyway. (One hopes that's changed or changing.)

So, to the OP, EditorOne: I really suggest you do as Albert recommends; look over that ss. Something is invalidating it, and at that point, all bets are off, because, yes, ADE does immediately discard errata.

Hope that helps.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote