View Single Post
Old 02-16-2006, 06:48 PM   #3
rsperberg
Zealot
rsperberg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've sent the files as requested.

I made my initial tests because I was hopeful of linking between documents and sidestepping the necessity of combining them into one large file in advance.

I think linking between separate documents that are either in the same zip archive or in the same folder would be extremely helpful in FBReader. For instance, the books at the University of Adelaide consist of one chapter per html file; for instance, try this link to George Orwell's "Down and Out in Paris and London": etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/o/orwell/george/o79d/o79d.zip , and you will see. As it is, right now these are fine in a browser but only awkwardly readable in FBReader.

I would say that expanding linking this way would be one of the three most useful features that could be added to FBReader that are not already on the roadmap.

(The others are accommodating multimedia -- like swf or svg, or audio and video files -- either via plug-in or by calling an external program; and accepting a file with an arbitrary XML vocabulary -- Simplified DocBook, TEI-lite, my work DTD -- and allowing the user to indicate how the block and inline elements should be displayed.)
rsperberg is offline   Reply With Quote