View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #294
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Thanks, I was about to ask about that. I don't suppose there is some exhaustive guide to digital comics out there for a noob like me...

In re: webcomics, I actually have an xkcd specific app, xkcd probably wouldn't translate well to another application due to the importance of the alt-text. But I'd like to expand my comic horizons.
Really depends on what you want.

If you want advice on what to read, then Sites like iFanboy, etc are probably a good bet. But everything they suggest may not be available digitally.

If you are looking for apps, then look below.

The big daddy on both iOS and Android for Legal comics appears to be Comics by Comixology which has comics from DC Comics, Image, IDW, Archie & many more available for sale.

The other big one is Graphicly which has comices from Marvel, and most of the rest of the well know publishers and most Indies that Comixology does not offer.

Marvel's own comic app which is subscription based is not yet available on Android, but as it is on iOS and PSP It will probably come to android some time soon most likely after then glut of Tablets expected over the next few months.

The thing to keep in mind is that comics offered by these three are DRM protected, though I believe can be accessed on the Web and on other platforms where they offer a reader. Also, Prices usually range from being the same as news stand prices to just a bit less.

Another interesting looking one is Vintage Comic Droid, which offers access to older Public Domain comics. While I've not spent much time with it, id oes look interesting and is free.

If you have your own scans or want to read CBR's and CBZ's then Besides Comic Book Mobi, there is also Droid Comic Reader which while basic is free.

There are also a number of comics pre packaged in their own individual apps, but I usually stay far from them.

Uh - Forgot to add a couple of links which talk about Digital comics in general which may provide a nice summary as well

LifeHacker - A Comic Book Lovers Guide to going Digital
IGN's Guide to Digital Comics

Last edited by bbusybookworm; 06-23-2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: forgot a couple of links
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote