View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
Workaround for clipping text

If you have seen my posts, you will know that one of the most important features for me is the ability to clip out text into a Word document. The Kindle does this very well, the Sony 600 and 900 are both limited to 100 characters.

The two PocketBooks also clip well. But the PRS 600 / 900 can add hand written notes and keyboard notes on the touchscreen. This is not really practical with the PocketBooks as you have to use a cursor to select each letter. The Kindle (and I have had one) uses a terrible keyboard.

Anyway, I am experiementing with a workaround. It's not perfect, but here it is:

Use the 600 / 900 to read and highlight text in comfort. Then sync to the Sony Reader desktop application. Then find your highlighted text (easy peasy), and then use the desktop tool Snagit. This product has a 30 day free trial, and costs $45 for the full license. The tool is used to select your highlihted text on the Reader desktop and then can send it to Word. You can send multiple clippings to Word, or Excel or PowerPoint. It might work with other applications too. You can manipulate the clipping and add arrows etc. The downside ? Snagit clips as a type of bitmap rather than text. It's basically a picture.

So, take an article of 20 pages, read it and find 5 key quotes. Highlight them, then sync, use Snagit and voila, you have a Word document with the quotes at pictures, then add you own text above and below to clarify what you thought of it. The majority of your reading is done on the e-Ink screen (so your eyes say thank you), and you have much less time at a PC.

Might be useful for some until Sony realise that people really want an option of clipping more than 100 characters.

If anyone has any other workarounds, then I would love to hear them. There probably is a better way.

Hal.
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote