View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 06:58 AM   #33
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeywilliams25 View Post
I hadn't changed the font in the eBook library as I was waiting to see if the font change had worked before doing so.

However I am pretty sure it is not the cause of the problem. Simply connecting the Reader to the usb, then after it has been detected unplugging it again leaves the Reader in a hung state and needs a reset. For some reason the font change is messing up the usb connection (even though it is detected and calibre sees it).

I am using a new UK bought Reader which I had to reflash. Could the UK version be any different?
As far as we know, the UK version is the same. Not to mention, several UK users have used this guide successfully. So I sincerely doubt that is the problem.

Also, I don't see how changing the fonts on the Reader could mess up the USB connection, it doesn't seem possible. What could be the reason is that Sony's Library is trying to access the Reader the moment you plug it in, and the different fonts are screwing something up. Again, this shouldn't happen as I've connected the Reader to a computer running the Library with original fonts and nothing like this happens.

But to help you, I will need very specific answers, since I still don't know exactly what's going on with your device. Here are some specific questions and instructions:

* Does the Reader work correctly before you connect it to the computer (after you flash it)? Can you see your new font in the books you have already on the device?

1. Follow Appendix E in the guide and replace the font in the Library with your new one. Make a copy of the original font if you care to preserve it. Do this while the Reader is disconnected.

2. Connect the Reader.

3. Can you transfer books from and to the Reader after you plug it in? Does the problem occur only after you unplug it, that is, is everything great until you disconnect it? Try to transfer a new LRF book to the device. Try to open the book from the device with the Library (by going to the drive of the Reader's memory in Windows).

4. Make sure that you use "Safely remove device from computer" option for disconnecting the device. Not using this can hung the Reader (I've seen it happen). Also, make sure the Reader itself is NOT displaying a crossed circle over the USB symbol on the screen. There should only be the symbol and that's it. If you see the crossed-out circle, that means data is being transfered.

Report back here if anything failed. Also, type out exactly and in as much detail as possible everything you did from the moment you connected it to the moment it hung.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote