Thread: MobileRead February 2013 Book Club Vote
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I wish those who know and love romance novels would suggest some books which are solid fits. What are must reads in the genre?

I get the impression that there's an element of shame or embarrassment about romance books that doesn't apply to crime or sci-fi or westerns or what have you, which doesn't seem just. I assume as with any genre category, there are the well-written books and then there's the typical dreck (which can be entertaining enough, not judging). Is it because women are the target audience, as opposed to other genres which appeal either partially or mostly to men?
For me, it's not shame or embarrassment. It's that I don't like the way "true romance" is written. It just doesn't appeal to me. I don't care for it. Now there may be some "true romance" that I might like. But the problem is wading through the ones I would not like to try to find those. Some of the ones we have nominated here, I would not read if they won and others I would.

Sometimes it's just the way romance novels are described. Makes them sound awful. Maybe whoever writes the descriptions should try to tailor them for people who may not be a fan of romance novels.

Five of the books we are voting on, I will not read or reread. Outlander I've read and it was awful. Lolita is a book about pedophilia and I will not debase myself by reading it. The other three I won't read because they sound awful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote