View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #164
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Device: Auro H2O, Kobo Glo x 2, Asus Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombreastre View Post
A word of caution:
It's also worth mentioning that, as far as I remember, the whole speed-reading concept is in a bit of a grey area still. That is: you might exercise for a skill which does not exist.
If I'm not mistaken, there are those who swear by it and those who say it's just another way to sell you something, check the wikipedia page before diving in, and decide whether you're willing to invest your time and money in something like this.
When I was in University I participated in a study on speed reading, I have always read and always read fast, we determined that I more or less "absorb" the whole page at once, take a bit to process it then go to the next page (which is why an ereader with less to a page slows me down), some people used what I think is the classic speed reading (sort of down the middle of the page bringing in key words) and some people simply couldn't. I think you almost need to have a brain wired a certain way for it to work, one company I worked for sent their execs to a course with very mixed results.

On 'decent' material I could push 1600 wpm with good comprehension, but usually closer to 1200, but that was years ago. Nowdays I figure I'm probably in the 500 range, the mind and eyes are going, annoying to pick up a book I read 40 years ago and find it almost unreadable because they used such a tiny font.

Yet another reason for an eReader, you can keep upping the font size, of course one word per line would make for REALLY slow reading.

I'm finding the glo much easier on my eyes than the touch, even in a lighted room, the backlight makes for easier reading (or is that frontlight, sidelight?)
XrXca is offline   Reply With Quote