View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #98
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
I'm still a little uncertain as to why I needed to re-send those files to get that column flagged, but the series info worked perfectly, but I'm going to try not to drive myself crazy(er) wondering why..
Setting Calibre to automatic management seems to be necessary ( I did put it in the installation notes - but only item 4, I think I'll move it to 1 ) because the way the plugin works is it reads the metadata.calibre file that Calibre creates on the Kindle. This file contains data on all the books that Calibre sent to the Kindle, including all the columns associated with the book and the column values. So if you create a User Created column, or update tags/series or other information, that information does not get resent to the Kindle's metadata.calibre file unless you set Calibre to automatic management and you send a book to the device or reconnect.

Using Manual Management or Only on Send does not seem to trigger Calibre to keep the metadata.calibre up to date on the Kindle even if you send books to the device. I suspect this is because Kindle keeps a separate collection file and the Manual Management and Only on Send options are talking about the actual book files on the device. Kindle doesn't keep collection info in the book file so those options have no effect.

Setting to Automatic Management will keep the Kindle's metadata.calibre file up to data if you disconnect/reconnect or if you send a book to the device (any book will do, since it will update the whole metadata.calibre file).

If I can find the variable name that confirms if Automatic Management is on or off I'll consider putting up a warning message about it when the plugin is run.