View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 05:31 AM   #13
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifer.ezread View Post
The eBook reading device market is a massive challenge for anyone selling in the US. Kindle and their kind are losing money on devices, and getting it back using their proprietary format restrictions and eBookstore. (In my opinion, it stinks to be a Kindle owner and find out I can't download my favorite author's ePub, etc.) But they are the Big Boys in the market. The Big Brothers, even.
I don't want to come across rude but I personally would be rather careful with making statements like that. Other than some people at Amazon, no-one knows the cost to manufacture a Kindle; all that we do know for certain is they sell them from $139US. By saying "Kindle and their kind" I assume you are referring to other sellers such as Kobo, B&N, Sony? Well whilst each of those have their own formats they support the epub standard, so buyers are not just locked into their stores.

I agree with others that have posted, talking negatively about the competition is not very professional, especially making blanket statements that everyone is losing money on their devices and making up for it by selling ebooks. Does Astak not have an ebookstore? Link a device in with ezread and become competitive then.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote