View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #64
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
So, I think there's more to this than intellectual fear.
I'm certain of it. But it's the seemingly immediate leap to "presumptuous," or "trying to impress" that I don't get. Surely "not my cup of tea" would be a more logical starting point wouldn't it?

Quote:
I don't think there's anything wrong with making a bad face if you're mouthing something that is not to your tastes, and giving up if it happens too often.
I have no problem if people stop reading the works of authors who use a vocabulary that doesn't seem to "flow" in a way they prefer. That's only natural. We like what we like. It's the knee jerk reaction by many in this thread in assigning some sort of failed ulterior motive on the part of the author that I find puzzling. If you find a particular passage distasteful, I'm cool with that. Frown away. But that's not the same thing as the "the author is trying to sound smarter than us with his big words" vibe that I was getting from many in this thread.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-02-2013 at 04:52 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote