View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 06:01 AM   #22458
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
After dinner with a cup of hot water.... I'm still amazed at how pleasant a drink it is. I scoffed at my colleague who used to drink it daily, and all she ever said was "just try it once and you'll understand." I held off for most of the school year, until one day I figured what the heck... Now, I have it every so often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Yamaha of some sort. Acostic. He has never played before. His first attempt scared the dogs
Felicity will not stay in the same room with me when I play. As soon as I pick up the guitar, she makes a mad dash out of the living room. She doesn't go far... Perhaps only 6-10 feet... just to the other side of the double-door threshold, and lays down there, watching me. At first I thought it might be some high frequency overtones that bothered her, but she doesn't go far enough away for that to be the case. And she has no problem laying down next to the guitar when I'm not playing it, so she's not afraid of the instrument itself. It's only when I pick it up that she runs... Very weird!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I think it is sweet. He wants to play for Lucas.
I used to love to play for my son when he was a baby. These days he's a better musician than I am, and plays evenings in a good blues band.

Please give your husband the following advice. It's what I used to tell my university 'new' guitar students:
Starting to play the guitar is painful. It will really hurt the fingers of your left hand. In the beginning, they will hurt after just 3-4 minutes of playing. So stop. Put the guitar down. Pick it up again in an hour or so and play for another 3-4 minutes ONLY. Then stop and put the guitar down. If you are watching TV, keep the guitar next to you. When the commercial comes on, play for 2-3 minutes then put it down and watch TV. At the next commercial, play again for 2-3 minutes. Within two weeks you'll be able to play for 10-15 minutes before your fingers start to hurt. When they do, put the guitar down. After 2 months you will be able to play for an hour or two with no problem at all. If you try to force yourself to play through the pain, you will stop playing completely after the 4th day.... Good luck. It's a great comfort to be able to speak through music. (And it wouldn't hurt to take a couple of lessons in the beginning, just to be sure that you don't develop some bad habits that prevent you from improving later on. Even 2-3 lessons can make or break the deal.)

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote