View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
faithbw's Avatar
 
Posts: 615
Karma: 1526148
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NW Ohio
Device: Kindle PW 2, iPad Mini 2, LG v10 (sometimes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
It is not that B&N doesn't wish to compete, it is that Amazon insists on exclusivity and many authors think that they are better off acceding to Amazon than being available on multiple platforms.

Supposedly, Amazon controls 50% to 60% of the ebook market. That leaves 40% to 50% for the ePub market. Yet most authors only think of Amazon when it comes to selling their ebooks.

I have stopped looking at the freebies/deals postings here at MR because they are almost all Amazon-only deals. Occasionally someone will post a freebie/deal for B&N, Kobo, Sony, or Smashwords, but so rarely that it is a waste of time to read all of the freebie/deals posts.

That's so frustrating. There are some authors whose books I had to buy at Amazon because they don't have their book in any other market. When they are told this, the response is usually something along the lines of "Well, maybe in the future it'll be available in other formats and other stores". This usually means never.
[/rant]

As for B&N, I have to agree with FizzyWater. I never thought the store was very inexpensive, even when they and Borders pretty much controlled the US book market. I preferred Borders because they seemed to have better prices. So I'm not surprised that B&N usually charges more than some other book sellers.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote