View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 11:10 PM   #25
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
Oh and re: ADE page numbers, I know they merely count characters. But the amount of text they call a page feels about right (maybe a tad long but close). So a short-ish novel is about 150 pages or so and a modern novel is around the 500 page mark. I have no feel for what "locations" represents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Virtually all modern Kindle books have page numbers. If you send your books to the Kindle with Calibre, they'll all have page numbers (fake ones, similar to ADE numbers).
Indeed, like I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
EDIT: And about Sony Page Numbers vs. Kindle locations...

And calibre has a feature to automatically generate a pseudo-random guesstimate apnx when sending azw3/mobi to a Kindle. This can be refined by using a custom column containing the page count (most likely derived by hand from checking the paper version). If used, the Kindle book should have pagenumbers as well.
They do a fair job of guesstimating, like with ADE and their 1024-character guess. Although I turned them off because pagenumbers mean nothing to me unless they represent a reference to a book -- I use percentages, since that's all pagenumbers do for me anyway. Oh, and the time left in chapter/book has replaced locations on my main view.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote