View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #45
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Too add to the confusion...

I had never had a copy downloaded onto my iPad with the Kindle app. Just tried it and All the Names is in that copy. So, either Amazon is serving two different versions of the same book or there is something extremely screwy going on.
Once purchased, you always get the same edition of the book (Amazon stores the ASIN and edition in their database and serves it from their server new, with drm added, each time - which is why letting you keep all your books in the cloud costs little in storage space to them, for items purchased there).

If a new version is released for the same ASIN, the publisher can either push it to new users (you'll get an email telling you an update is available), allow current users to update (no email, but you get an Update Available option for that book on the MYK page) or restrict the new edition to new purchasers only (which is what the publisher did here).

I don't disagree with them doing it, as I would not have wanted to accept an update, which is generally to fix missing info, formatting and spelling errors, add illustrations, etc, and received less than originally paid for.

When the publisher releases a lesser book (missing stories, removed illustrations, etc), that is when I think they should create a new Kindle edition (new ASIN) and disable the old one (but be required to leave it in the catalog, so you can see it if you click from the MYK page and still loan out if that is allowed).

For this book, the publisher chose to update in place, adding a lesser edition (but with better formatting and TOC) and didn't bother to even change the description of the book. So, all new purchasers don't get what is being advertised.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote