View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 03:58 AM   #17
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
I'm ambidextrous, but left-hand dominant in general. For anything that involves fine motor skills and detail, I'm usually left-handed. For things that involve large muscle groups, I'm usually right-handed. I eat left-handed and play tennis right-handed (one-handed backhand). I pitched right-handed but could pitch left-handed - it was more accurate but a lot slower. Whenever I return to an activity after a long absence, I have to work out whether I'm right-handed or left-handed at it. Often I use my right hand simply because I'm following directions or a pattern written for a righty.

My brothers and I are all left-handed, but I am the only one of us who has become ambidextrous. I'm sure it's because I'm the oldest, and I grew up playing a lot of sports. I didn't have my own equipment yet, so I learned to play using the equipment (such as fielding gloves) that belonged to neighborhood kids and emulating their technique. I became right-footed when I started playing soccer. By the time my brothers were old enough to play sports, we had all sorts of left-handed equipment at home. By the way, both of my parents are right-handed.

When my youngest brother started to show left-hand dominance, my parents wondered if they were somehow doing something to make us left-handed. They experimented by trying to put things in his right hand, but he would have none of it - down to the floor everything went! I have an aunt and uncle who are both left-handed, and all three of their kids are right-handed.

After playing a lot of tennis for the last 20-odd years (after years of pitching and throwing), I'm afraid I've torn up my shoulder. I'm starting to think about "waking up" those left-handed arm and shoulder muscles to see what I can get out of them! What I wouldn't give to have been left-handed in tennis all along... All other things being equal, I would have won a lot more matches!
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote