View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #21
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Not only did I know the music, I currently have much of it on my iPod! I like 80s music. What was funny was reading a reference to a random song that I'd just listened to on shuffle in the last week.

As for the slang, what I didn't know, as Bookworm_Girl mentioned, was oddly all on my Oxford dictionary. And then other pop culture references, such as brands, television series, etc., some of what I didn't know I googled. I was also inspired to youtube some old commercials which was actually pretty fun - definitely retro blasts from the past! Here's one for Tizer, one of the drinks mentioned in the book, from 1982, the year the book is set in.

So I thought the cultural references were fun. But I do think the author's goal must've been to chock it full of as many as he could cram in!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote