View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 06:28 AM   #4
Actionman
Actionman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Actionman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Actionman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
Actionman, I'm interested in why you use "Save to disk". What difference does it make? I've never tried it - and didn't even realise you could use it.
Thanks
Mostly no difference at all...except if there is a glitch somewhere. If you think about it, firstly the computer has to recognize the device, then Calibre has to interact with the device as well. That's a couple of places where things can go wrong...EVERY bit of software has bugs, so by using save to disk I reduce the possibility of file corruption and other nasties....

... Also, recovering from a bad file copy (rare) is just a matter of delete and recopy. Recovering from a something where the software (Calibre/Plugin/Desktop App etc) has caused a system error on the Kobo is not a small matter.

A bad USB port, cable or connector can also promote errors in software function, whereas a simple copy (read/write) will gracefully fail.

I must add that this is not a recommendation for all...just the paranoid

Make sense?

A
Actionman is offline   Reply With Quote