View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 03:40 PM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I like good series.
Apache
Same here. Of course, it all depends on how you define series. Is it a continuous story that gets split up, a la LOTR. Or is it a group of individual books with the same characters, a la Conan the Barbarian or Sherlock Holmes?

I actually like both. The issue is that sometimes authors don't want to stop a cash cow, so they start to extend the series rather than let it draw to a natural conclusion and then move in a different direction. I would put Jordan's WOT in this category and unfortunately, I think that Weber's Honor Harrington is now in that category as well.

To a certain extent, I think that Weber's problem is that he let others play in his universe before he completed the story and then tried to square the circle, so to speak. If he had ended it when he originally planned to (At All Costs), I think it would have been more satisfactory.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote