View Single Post
Old 12-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #11
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I have a few e-ink readers with Android, ranging from Android 2.3 (InkPhone) through 4.xy to 5.0 (YotaPhone).

I have never felt the need to use PlayBooks.
There are some features that are more important to me - configurability of the app, usability without physical buttons (not all e-ink readers have Back, Home, Menu buttons) AND the ability to adjust the frontlight below some arbitrary level without darkening the background with black. You see, most LCD screens can dial down the back-light only to a certain level and then the app starts using darker and darker background to turn the light further down on such screen. When the app (my beloved CoolReader) starts doing that on e-ink screen the results are disastrous. And for me light at 20% is way too much under any lighting conditions.

At the moment my favorite app is AlReader. But my priorities and my use case are very obviously different from yours.

There are quite a few e-book reading apps that you can use that can sync the position through Dropbox or other servers. The process is supposed to be seamless - I have never tried it personally.

Also have a look at OPDS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OPDS
Calibre can be OPDS client and there is plugin for creating OPDS server from Calibre contents.
Some of better e-book reading apps can connect to the OPDS servers to download books seamlessly.

I personally tag a bunch of books for export in my Calibre database and then to export them in a hierarchical directories and upload the directories to my device[s] (Not all my devices are on Android). Then I use tags to select the books again and I use "Create Catalog" function in Calibre so I can upload that to the device and I can browse through my eclectic collection when I want to read something different.
When I find a book that jumps to the top of my "To Be Read" pile I start an ftp server on my Android device, copy book from PC and switch off the ftp server 30 seconds later. No cable necessary. I could also start Calibre server and download the book from the phone using browser or the free version of Calibre Companion (number of books is limited) for the purpose of copying one "To Be Read Immediately" book without cable.

Other people like to use Calibre Companion app on their Android devices and run Calibre server on their home PC. There are quite a few people that have static IP at home and run Calibre server on their home computer accessible on the Internet (as long as you know the IP address and port number).

Yet another bunch of people run Calibre server on their home PC and access it through a browser from their devices.

Some people run OPDS server at home or use one of numerous OPDS servers around the world - this is the closest to your Google Play books infrastructure.

Please notice I haven't mentioned using DropBox or other on-line file service to host books ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote