View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Too many posts

Here's my updated proposal, disregard everything in my previous posts:

Name the feature Virtual Libraries

The UI
Replace the Restrict to dropdown with a new button that says "Virtual Libraries"
This button when clicked will popup a menu with the entries:
Code:
Create VL
Remove VL
Additional restriction ->
  same as current restrict to popup
_____
VL 1
VL 2
No VL
If a VL is applied, it is indicated in the title bar as || library name :: VL name ||

If an "additional restriction" is applied it is also indicated in the title bar as
|| library name :: VL name :: restriction name ||

The current (m of n ) labels shows m of n where n is the number of books in the fully restricted library, i.e. with VL and additional restriction (if any) applied.

The startup option should be changed to using a VL, which is indicated in the title bar as before.

There are probably some wrinkles to work out with this proposal.

EDIT: A VL should not depends on saved searches, that is, it should allow the use of simple searches. A VL is defined as (friendly name, search). The friendly name will be used in the UI (titlebar/menus/etc.)

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 04-08-2013 at 07:45 AM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote