View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #30
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
My opinion is y'all is dialect, not proper English. Yes, it could become proper, just as TV became for television or xerox for photocopy, but it takes more widespread adoption. I'm not even sure who gets to decide when something becomes proper English but I feel a bit stodgy about it. The "I learned it a certain way so why should it change" attitude.

I've mentioned the Chicago Manual of Style before along with Strunk & White. If something is clearly defined in those then that, to me, is the "right" way and the rest of you can get off my lawn. At least I know I'm peculiar about it.
YOu mean this?

http://www.amazon.com/Manual-Writers...3913711&sr=8-1

Horrible book. I have to use it as the defacto guide to everything I write for grad school but can never find anything in it and if I do it usually does not make sense.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote