View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So I have been looking forward to the category for a while, enough to get me to actually submit a couple of nominations. I am sure that there will be one or more nominations for works by Shakespeare so I would like to nominate a couple of more recent works.

Glengarry Glen Ross by David Mamet.

A really excellent study of the dark side of the “animal spirit” of capitalism. Probably better known to most from the film adaption.

Winner of the 1984 Pulitzer Prize, David Mamet’s scalding comedy is about small-time, cutthroat real estate salesmen trying to grind out a living by pushing plots of land on reluctant buyers in a never-ending scramble for their fair share of the American dream. Here is Mamet at his very best, writing with brutal power about the tough life of tough characters who cajole, connive, wheedle, and wheel and deal for a piece of action—where closing a sale can mean a brand new Cadillac but losing one can mean losing it all. (Amazon)

The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams

My favorite play of the many written by the great American playwright.

Menagerie was Williams's first popular success and launched the brilliant, if somewhat controversial, career of our pre-eminent lyric playwright. Since its premiere in Chicago in 1944, with the legendary Laurette Taylor in the role of Amanda, the play has been the bravura piece for great actresses from Jessica Tandy to Joanne Woodward, and is studied and performed in classrooms and theatres around the world. (Amazon)