View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 07:53 AM   #7
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Having a restricted number of books to 'lend' by a library is a flawed model unless you consider that some, unwilling to wait, will pop over to their favorite ebookstore and buy it.

Generally, though, if I want something I check the library first, and if it is available I'll wait. Even Cleveland's library though, at around 8,800 ebooks , has far fewer than fictionwise. And included in the Cleveland number are all categories, including many I have no interest in.

So the limit would suggest the ebook publishers are trying to get more money directly from impatient people with money to spend rather than license/lending fees from the library. One reason for library limitations may be so the library doesn't have overwhelming fees in a single month for popular authors - limiting access would suggest monthly or quarterly lending/licensing fees would be at a predictable level.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote