View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 01:31 PM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I worked for a newspaper about 20 years ago. I was told at that time that the subscription and sales income roughly balanced physical printing costs and delivery. The entire writing and editorial staff, etc. -- the bulk of the operation -- was paid for by advertising. (And since the amount the advertisers would pay was determined by "readership", i.e. sales, they were always trying to increase subscriptions, but not really for the subscription revenue itself.)

I expect magazines are much the same. Books have run with a different model, but fiction hasn't always been published in books, as many have pointed out. I would not be at all surprised to see an increase in digital "magazine" publishing, paid for by advertising. The interesting thing about this model is that it could actually be in the publishers' interest to encourage copying and distribution of their content, if they could figure out a way to track readership so they could bill their advertisers appropriately.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote