View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #38
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I did not take the view that Dick was homosexual or even asexual, though this is certainly arguable. I took his attraction to Isolda as a genuine yearning for a love totally beyond his reach. How could Vita, a creature of his dull everyday life possibly compete with her. My impression was that he was frustrated with this rather than revelling in it. I think he would have swapped his dull life for Roger's life in a heartbeat if he had the opportunity to do so. And probably live to regret it.
I think his attraction to Isolda was analogous to an adolescent mooning over a character in a movie. There was nothing genuine about it; there was no possibility of it ever being real. It was just escapism and voyeurism--completely passive. Nothing Dick did could affect what was happening, so he had no responsibility and no choices to make. His trips were a refuge from his real life, where he DID need to make decisions and face consequences.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote