View Single Post
Old 07-13-2020, 04:10 PM   #231
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
For a while, the Nook app (the only way to download B&N books that still works) was removed from the Microsoft store without notice or explanation. Similar to the way that the former B&N Nook and Nook Study programs just stopped working one day.

Then once the app came back, downloads just stopped working for a while. That was a technical glitch I believe. It seems to be working now.
The Nook app did disappear from the Windows Store for about a month and then returned with an updated version. If you had installed the previous version it still worked. When the new version came out, my installed version was updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
But B&N has a history of changing DRM schemes, stopping downloads and blocking their programs without warning.

When was the last time you purchased a Nook book and removed the DRM? As far as I know it still works, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were to suddenly stop.

My point was I'd like to see B&N ditch their proprietary DRM and just use Adobe DRM (and allow downloads of the books from their website, like they used to).
B&N are not the only ones who have updated their DRM Schemes. Amazon also has a history of changing theirs. I have recently purchased and liberated nook books, which is why I do not understand why some are having problems doing so.

If my memory is correct, the current DRM scheme on Nook books was created by Adobe which they were making available to other users of their DRM scheme if they wanted it. I guess other companies saw no need to allow you to read nook books on their devices.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote