View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #18
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I recently checked with Alexander Turic because someone had asked me on another forum how to change account details to another country in order to order books either not available to them or not available at prices they wanted. I checked because my read on this was that telling people explicitly how to circumvent geographical limitations seemed very much like telling people how to remove drm. This was his take on it as well.

My conclusion was that MR is serious when they say will not be a source of information about how to do things that may be illegal or which violate agreements with book sellers or publishers as expressed in Terms of Use or other agreements we may make when setting up accounts.

I don't blame them for being careful.
I'd like to point out that in the USA, their Supreme Court has ruled that purchasing books at a lower price in another country for resale in the USA does not constiture copyright infringement -- see Kirstaeng vs. John Wiley and Sons http://www.legalink.ch/Resources/New...y-Market-Goods.

Given that decision, it would be hard to argue that someone changing their IP address to avoid geolocation would be grounds for any legal action in the USA.

One legal beagle I do some work for is of the opinion that in Canada, under current laws, there is no basis for prosecuting someone for purchasing a legally produced copy of an ebook no matter where it was purchased unless it could be established the content of the purchase contravened Canadian law.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote