View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
I specifically asked if she was selling streaming or download, and she was emphatic it was download.
Oooh, neat! Single-DRM crack program for *everything!*

I think the only DRM on the market right now that hasn't been cracked is Apple's iBooks--and that's because iThings are a closed platform; you can't manipulate code and data on them. (And maybe I heard those had been cracked. I don't remember.)

AFAIK, every type of DRM that involved loading content and the key to open it onto a general-use computer has been cracked, with the speed and efficacy of the crack directly relating to the usefulness and quantity of the content. If nothing else, there's the screencap-and-CBZ option for text.

Quote:
Her "content aggregators" like Baker & Taylor were offering most of the content, and she would license stuff they couldn't provide (including BBC video).
Yes, most tv networks are happy to provide content through a DRM provider who can't explain how their system will work with books, movies, and audio files.

Quote:
Her assertion was that the studios and BPH would get Amazon and Apple playing on the same DRM page (which of course doesn't address format...).
Of course. They've been doing such a great job of that so far. Insisting on a single sales platform for all vendors wouldn't trigger another DOJ investigation at all.

... If she calls back, ask her how well her system works with Linux. Then ask if the ebooks can be read on a non-wifi device like the Sony PRS-505. I suspect she's oblivious to *all* dedicated ebook readers; anyone offering DRM that's not Adobe or Amazon's is going to say "well, it'll maybe work on Android devices if you download our app."

ETA: Is that the Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem? I just love claims that "the cloud" is the answer to everyone's DRM problems.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote