View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #85
Yokoelf
Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.Yokoelf knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I just finished it. I really enjoyed the ride, but I have to say that I liked Parts 1 and 2 better than Part 3. Spoiler below [are we supposed to hide spoilers or not?]

Spoiler:
In Part 3 it became clear to me that all of Part 3 was going to consist of Tengo and Aomame narrowly missing each other, over and over again. I thought, if the book ends with Tengo and Aomame getting together on the last page... like a... like a.... ROMANCE NOVEL, then I might throw the book across the room. (Don't worry, I was reading the hardcover, so it wouldn't damage my reader!) And that is NEARLY what happened, so I'm not sure what to think. I mean, it ended up as a big love story, right? And I thought the chapters with Ushikawa only served to slow down the story.

So I'm not really sure how I feel overall, now.

eP
I agree with you, this book is, after all...

Spoiler:

just a love story. And, though I really enjoyed reading it, the book itself have no depth, in my opinion. Everything is clearly explained, the book doesn't talk by itself. There are all the fantastic elements, but, to me, it doesn't pass us any message other than that love is everything the world needs (just like Aomame used to say).

Don't get me wrong, I really like this book and certainly is one of my favorites ever. But I have seen some exaggerated good reviews. This is not a book I would recommend everyone to read.
Yokoelf is offline   Reply With Quote