View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
DerBusIsVoll
DerBusIsVoll began at the beginning.

Device: SGS1
Media sharing at home: multiple users, NAS

Hello All,

I'd like to put a scenario in front of you which I cannot resolve myself anymore:

I'd like to be able to share our ebooks at home with all family members. Best would be to use my NAS where all Videos, Images & Audio files are already shared from, namely a Fritzbox with an attached USB drive. As you may guess, my kids are minor an so should not read some of the literature I have collected.

Given the above, I have organized the books into a family library and an adult library, and copied those onto the NAS's harddisk. Calibre installs on the respective computers are pointing to the respective NAS locations. Unfortunately this approach does not support mobile ebook readers like the android devices we are using, and cross library searches are not possible. Also access to the library from outside are not possible, except I would dedicate a computer running all the time.

So, my thoughts are severalfold:
- Calibre content server shall be made available as a piece of source code compilable under linux 2.6 for mipsel architecture, running under an apache webserver?
- Calibre content server allows different users to log in, and permissions can be given to browse a single or several libraries on a per user base
- Calibre content server can actually open several libraries and make them browsable

I'm sure that my thoughts are not very broad for my lack of experience using Calibre, but I'm very happy to listen to your ideas how I can adress my challenges.

Brgds DerBusIsVoll
DerBusIsVoll is offline   Reply With Quote