View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #132
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I really hope that this gets extended to the rest of the world soon. And it would be nice if Amazon supplied Kindle to the francophone world too. Although English is my main language, I like reading in French too. I had to buy my K3 in the UK, where I have an Amazon account. I also have one in France.

I have to say that I think it's ridiculous to blame Amazon for what they haven't done at particular times or in particular places. Amazon may be big, but it doesn't dominate the world. It is a successful business and as such they concentrate on what makes commercial sense at a particular time and place. Obviously, they have an interest in keeping most customers happy and growing the business. They grew quite successfully without facilitating library lending. Now they apparently see a new business opportunity in moving into this area.

People who bought a different ereader because they wanted library access have presumably enjoyed that product and its capabilities. But we live in a world of rapidly changing technologies. My first PC was an IBM in about 1980. Since then I have had a large number of different ones of differing capabilities. It's often a nuisance to do the transfer or to find a long-forgotten floppy disc storing something I wanted to keep. I once had a wonderful collection of vinyl LPs. Now most of my music is in MP3 format. So what?

If you don't want to be affected by technological change, it's probably best to stick to DT format for a lot longer.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote