View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
BD has it's own quirks. It basically exports source files as HTML and gives you a WYSIWYG means of doing markup without having to know HTML.

But it does some diddling of the HTML it generates in ways I'd rather it didn't, like forcing justification on everything. You have to go in with a text editor and do a search-and-replace on the HTML files after you've marked up in BD to neuter that before building the book.
ha, well maybe i will stick to Publisher after all. i *do* know html, and i am pretty wary of wysiwyg because in my experience it generates messy code and i'd rather do clean code by hand. Publisher is possibly the least intuitive program i've used but i think i'm catching on, and the process is starting to make sense to me. i can do my own html or text formatting and just use publisher to generate the imp file. i'll still try it out just in case though.

Quote:
I'm a fan of well crafted books, and have some paper editions I treasure. I'm delighted to see people attempting to bring a similar level of craftsmanship to electronic editions, within the limits imposed by the technology.
yes, exactly : it's all about the craft. a book can be a beautiful thing, and there is no reason to sacrifice that for the other advantages of the electronic format. i can't wait to get a device with an e-ink screen to further improve my reading experience, but i'm waiting for the prices to go down a bit (and in the meantime i really love my eb1150, brilliant ergonomy).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote