View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #9
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
One of the problems is that publishers are giving Amazon and other retailers the same cut for electronic books that they give for paper books.

I would much prefer to see lower RRPs on ebooks, and Amazon taking a much lower cut of the RRP - perhaps 30% would be reasonable. After all, the retailers have much lower overheads on electronic books than on paperbooks - no need for warehousing and handling them.

I dislike being dependant on Amazon's 'generosity' in giving a 40% discount on the RRP of ebooks for ebook prices to be anywhere near reasonable.

(My definition of a reasonable ebook price is $6 or less!)
The "standard" wholesale price of books is 55% discounted. i.e.: The publisher receives 45% of the list price. If Amazon deals with a wholesaler or a distributor, instead of directly with the publisher, perhaps it gets only a 40% or 45% discount.

Since with eBooks they deal directly with the publisher, and make no real investment of any sort in the book, short of adding it to their database, I don't see why Amazon's (or any eBook seller's) cut should be a cent above 10%.

Unless perhaps they are like Mobipocket, and have their database offered through hundreds (thousands?) of eBook stores throughout the internet.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote