View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
So after Customer Service informed me that I should probably consider upgrading my hardware (as if I haven't, multiple times over), I sent the following message of disappointment to the bogus Bezos email address to express my disappointment in how this phase-out (because it's clear to me now that this is exactly what it is) is being handled:

Quote:
Hello,

If you're officially dropping support for being able to register/deregister 1st and 2nd generation Kindle devices over Whispernet, please consider making an official statement that makes that fact abundantly clear.

As it is now, having Amazon customer service representatives hint that my fully updated (including the TLS service cert update) device "may be too old to connect to our network" is quite frustrating. Especially considering that the unregistered device has no difficulty whatsoever with browsing the Amazon store. Having CS reps try to convince me that I _may_ need to upgrade (when they know full well I'll have to) to a newer device is shameful.

In short: please fix the issue that prevents fully updated 1st and 2nd generation Kindles from being able to re-register after a performing a factory reset, or make the announcement that these devices have been officially abandoned.

Thanks,
Doug
To which I just received the following reply:
Quote:
Hello Douglas,

I'm Caesar M. of Amazon's Tech Support Executive Customer Relations. Jeff Bezos received your email and I'm responding on his behalf. I've reviewed your account and understand you're concerned about your device support. While I know you're disappointed with our stance on this matter, I want to assure you the information you received from our customer service is correct.

As mentioned, hardware updates exist for a very genuine reason. When a new device is developed, it goes through rigorous tests and quality checks. The final version of the device is released to public only when the vendor is fully satisfied with the product’s functionality and stability. When the devices are used by customers in a real-time environment, they may come across several areas of improvement and same gets reported back to the developers. Sometimes latest versions of applications will need new processes and tools to work properly, which the developers constantly include with the new software updates. However, in the occasion that the software is not enough , the needs of the apps are going to overdrive the capacity of the product, causing the malfunction of the it. To address those issues, the developers try to support those devices as much as possible until the customer needs are major than the device capabilities, then a new device with better qualities will be lunch so that users can have a convenient and well supported interface with the product.

Douglas, I’m sorry for any disappointment caused and appreciate your understanding. While we won’t be able to comment further on this matter, we’re always happy to help if you have any other questions - you can click a button to contact us by e-mail or phone from any Help page on our website.

Regards,

Caesar M.
Tech Support Executive Customer Relations
Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com
So there you have it, folks. Who knows which devices are officially on the chopping block, but the fact that there IS a chopping block has been confirmed to my satisfaction.

A rather disappointing way to handle it if you ask me, though.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-09-2017 at 07:12 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote