View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #26
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
There are two issues here. The first is that CC + calibre failed to delete 300 books successfully. I have tried something like this myself (deleting 500 books) and it worked. Clearly I need to look again.
Tried again today, deleting 293 books (leaving 4 on device), froze after 2 mins8sec (calibre task log) and had to force close. After restating CC, showed 172 books left.

2nd go, tried deleting the 168 books (leaving 4 again), crashed out after 2m31s, CC showed 18 books left.

Deleted remaining 14 books no problem.

If you need me to redo it with a log/debug going, just give us a shout saying how.

One thing I would say regarding displaying busy/updating, would it be possible for CC to not update it's displayed db until after operation (calibre delete), as at moment, I think, it's redoing the display after every book remove, and before it's finished updating - it has to redraw again and may becoming unsync'd. Could that be what's causing freeze? (If not I'll just shut up )

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The second is a progress indicator, I will look at that. I just checked the code and it appears that the calibre device driver can know how many books are being deleted in a single "transaction". What we need to do is pass this information to CC and have some kind of progress dialog. Unfortunately, the network command protocol we designed doesn't permit using this information, so we will need to change how calibre and CC communicate. This sort of change is always dangerous.
As long as the freeze issue is worked over and sorted, the dangerous change wouldn't be that important as long as a note is put in any help/docs. I don't think that deleting *lots* (whole db) of books from calibre would be a 'usual' operation, just perhaps upto a dozen would be usual, removing read books from device.

Last edited by Perkin; 10-08-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote