View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #6
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Yes, I'd come to rely on the Back button with the old layout - but I didn't find it very pleasant to do so. It always felt like a workaround to me, rather than a navigation feature Amazon had consciously took into account when designing the layout.

Back does now what it always has: it jumps to the page, but does not restore the cursor position. No matter how you navigate to a given page, the cursor will always be on the 'default' hyperlinked item (usually the first hyperlink on the page).

Your suggestion that it should restore the cursor position if you use 'Back' to get there is quite reasonable, and if put to a vote, I'd vote for it. But you'd have to convince Amazon it is a bug, and they'd probably argue they were just being 'consistent'. This is one of a number of subtle navigational issues they could be addressing, but they seem to have other priorities.
The BACK button always did return to the previous cursor position (in the section list or article list), so what they have done with the new release is a departure from what they have done in previous releases. Also, if I access an article from the article list (versus the sections & articles preview) the back button returns me to the correct cursor position--in other words, that behaviour was retained.

Look at it this way: when I click the back button on my web browser I don't go back to the top of the previous page--I go to the place on the page from whence I came. The natural and expected behaviour of BACK is to go back to where you came from, not to the top of the page you came from. I've emailed Amazon on their feedback line and I'm hoping they will address this.

Last edited by nickredding; 02-09-2011 at 01:42 PM.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote