View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 06:02 AM   #4
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
If you don't mind reading in an LCD screen, you can go the easiest way: download a reading program like Stanza, like Toddos suggested, for your iPhone and you'll be happy.

Advantages: you don't have to spend a dime, you have access to a lot of content and you can even download both books for Kindle and books for other readers, something that hardly other reader can do. One of the problems with DRM is that it ties you up to one kind of DRM (e.g, if you buy a Kindle, your DRM'd material provider will needingly be Amazon, not Borders or Barnes and Noble) and eventually to the ebook reading devices which support that DRM. Of course, as neilmarr suggests, DRM is removed from books with ease, thus it shouldn't be a big issue for you. Plus, much content is DRM-free.

Disadvantages: a screen too small to conveniently read on it and LCD screen lead to potential eye strain (I say potential because I had it in my iPod touch after reading some hours on it, but others don't seem to mind). Plus, the battery life of an LCD device is not too long in comparison with an e-Ink one.

If you decide to go the e-Reader way: for the price range you're suggesting, and considering that size matters for you, Pocketbook 360 will be helpful for you. It reads a lot of formats, it has a very comfortable screen of 5 inches, the design is quite well-done, and, since it is e-Ink, its juice will last for a long time. $240 dollars in the States, I guess you'll have to pay shipping charges since you don't like there. In Europe it's €240.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote