View Single Post
Old 10-26-2006, 02:51 PM   #1
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Yep. It's official. Sony Reader has "ruined" books for me. A final "review."

So I finally got my replacement Sony Reader in. My first one had a few problems, namely a big FAT reverse-polarity/stuck pixel right in the centre of the screen, and also, the "reset" pinhole button got broken, somehow. It got pushed INTO the system, making the power button all "floppy" (best way to describe that). Somehow, the spring that the power button employs for it to return to place - got broken.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I received my replacement yesterday.

And here's where my tale begins.

I got into bed last night, and whipped it out (the Reader, ahem). I hadn't connected it to my computer; I hadn't charged it; I hadn't used the Connect Software (kind of dreading that, hah!). But I thought to myself, I want to read 1984 , since I haven't yet (yes, yes, I'm a bad person I know).

I enjoyed reading it. I got to page 84, in fact, before my eyes became weary from the chores of the day. Wow, I got sleepy reading an e-book. How did that happen?

Somewhere between page 1 and page 84, I forgot I was using an electronic device. Somewhere between page 1 and page 84, I forgot that I was resting my "book" on the bed and didn't need to hold it open like a traditional book (p-book?). I completely took for granted that the text was "flat" and not curving as when you hold a paperback book open and the book curves around from the pressure of your hands.

I found myself instinctively looking for my bookmark before I closed my eyes and entered dreamland at last, but realized that physical bookmarks, for me at least, are a thing of the past.

This morning, I woke up, and picked up my Reader. Yes, I really hadn't imagined reading almost 100 pages on it last night. Yes, it really was that good.

Perhaps the reason I was so underwhelmed with this e-ink device is because it is so underwhelming. How easy is it to get excited by an electronic black and white page? When was the last time you picked up a book and said, "Wow, this looks like a page?" And this is exactly why the Reader is phenomenal.

And that's really it.

I love it. I'm keeping it. Nobody can pry it away from my hands. I'll be enjoying more of 1984 tonight, and perhaps, at some point, I'll get around to putting some of my own books on it, at which point the reading activity can only get more enjoyable, right?
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote