View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #17
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Isn't that too imprecise? And volatile? If your criteria were the "majority" of smart phones and tablets sold each year, well then that might change from year to year. As an analyst doing a report like this, you need to make a clear distinction -- even if it is a wrong one -- for the sake of clarity and consistency.

--Pat
Sure, but it makes more sense to have some fringe cases to argue about, and to have to shift the definition now and then (like when powerful PC were called "workstations" but then even entry level PCs encroached on workstation performance levels), then to have a term which covers everything and therefore conveys no useful info.

I'll believe a 7" device is phone worthy of a ph prefix when I see people with 7" devices help up to their ears on the subway.

I believe the 4.5"-5.5" definition you mentioned earlier is closer to useful to distinguish a class apart from true smartphone or tablet. I think 4.75"-6" might be better.

Unless the term really is intended to refer to the superset of phones and tablets and everything in between.....

Last edited by ApK; 01-03-2013 at 03:03 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote