View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #49
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
Local bookstores can't compete and I'm not willing pay an extra $8 per book just to support them. But I will be sad when they close.
When I pay that extra 8 bucks, I figure I'm paying for

(1) getting a hard copy immediately rather than waiting for it (given that a hard copy is what I want in preference to an ebook, which is often the case);
(2) curating by the bookstore - i.e., selection of interesting books I might not have known about, organized in a visual fashion;
(3) opportunity to check out the contents in the way I want to check them out, as opposed to being limited to the first few pages(often the intro rather than the narrative) or an arbitrary "read inside" somehow selected for me;
(4) opportunity for an excursion to a "great good place" (The Great Good Place: Cafes, Coffee Shops, Bookstores, Bars, Hair Salons, and Other Hangouts at the Heart of a Community, by Ray Oldenburg)
(5) interactive counseling from someone who can help me locate what I want, even if I don't know I want it.

So I consider the money above the Amazon price as payment for something Amazon isn't selling.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote